Monday, December 14, 2009

Am I a leader? I want to be a leader!

As I meet regularly with mentors of mine we seem to get on "themes" for a couple weeks at a time...and sometimes for longer.

Lately, the theme has been leadership. Specifically, my leadership of the 18 volunter leaders and 1 intern that are under my "leadership".


This past week one of my mentors provided two word pictures for me. His words were: a manager is the guy trying to push his team up the hill.
A leader is the guy out in front leading the way up the hill.



As I have spent some time thinking and praying introspectively about this here is what I came up with...short version :)

One was a picture of a manager that kinda looked like this...

Everyone is there and ready to be told what to do but they are sitting around while the "manager" is trying to get them on board and push them to the finish line (read: goal).










The other was a picture of a leader that looked more like this ...
A person knowing where they are going and how to get there. He has built relationship with them and poured into their lives so they trust him and he trusts them.
They are on board with him & the strategy so now he is stepping out and leading the way knowing that the eager and willing people will follow his example and direction to achieve their goal.
As I meditate on these two word pictures in my mind and look at these two pictures that I found I am able to see that I have put on the hat of a manager which is NOT my natural approach. Nor is it the most effective (my opinion) in this ministy setting.
Part of it is me trying to adopt things that other people are that just aren't me and part of it is a forced action because I feel pressure to accomplish goals, etc.
As I was talking with him (my mentor) I realized that actually my more natural approach is the "leadership" style not the "manager" one.
I am a more relational person and love connecting with people that way.
I hope this realization will make me more of a leader.
I want to be a great leader!

No comments: