Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Rose to the Top: Experience & Service

As I continue to wade through and try to identify all the thoughts and feelings in my brain still dancing/thrashing around like a moshpit I find that more questions are being asked than answered...but questions are good.

One of the "labs" that I went to laid out some of the obvious differences between the modern and postmodern group of people. I'm honestly not sure which group I fall into. I think I am a mut, part of my make up is rooted in the modern tradition and part of me is made up with the postmodern views and characteristics. I'm not sure if that gives me an advantage or a disadvantage. I kind of wish I was deeply rooted in one or the other but I also see value in being the mut.

This postmodern group that most of my ministry is directed to is much more of an experiential group. They are driven by experiences. The TV shoes they watch, the concerts they go to, the things that grab their attention are experiential in a way like never before.

I believe that the church is always behind the cultural shifts a step or two, so given that observation as I/we try to "catch up", not to be too cultural but to be most effective in ministering to the teenagers that are fully enthralled in this postmodern culture. We need to provide experiences for them.

I believe that the "experience(s)" that we provide them have to be made up of a few things but there are 2 that are primary in my head:
1) Find ways for them to interact and experience God's Word in a perhaps new way. I believe that the single greatest activity that we can do to continue & further our spiritual formation is to read & meditate on God's Word.

2) Find ways for them to do significant things (acts of service). I believe another big springboard in our spiritual formation is putting actions to our beliefs or words. Giving them opportunities to act out the things they "say" they believe. Taking on the attitude of Christ who did not come to be served but to serve.

I could and am tempted to write SO much more about this topic but I'm going to stop here for now and may return to it later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with both points especially the acts of service. Walk what you believe, show it without shame. We are called to be God's hands and feet. There are no limits to what God can do through another. As Nick Vujicic says, "He called a man with no hands and feet to be his hands and feet."