Monday, September 14, 2009

Series: Things I Wish I Knew About Ministry Before-training adults

This is one element of my job that I have fought. When God called me to youth minsitry I don't remember training adult leaders as part of the initial equation. It was all about youth, the kids. About loving them, training them, teaching them, accepting them, etc.
I wish when I was younger (like college or internships) someone would have really made it very clear to me the necessity of pouring into adult leaders and of training them in the service of the ministry.
I kinda feel like I am behind the curve a little bit. But as I have grown into the knowledge of the importance of training, equipping loving on leaders it really seems that more than 65% of my ministry time is and needs to be focused on the adults and not on the students!
That is hard to swallow, but as I have learned this and am implementing plans to continue to pour into the adult volunteer leaders, I see the ministry being built into what I was hoping it would become.
I see and embrace the necessity of equipping the adults so they can be as effective as possible. That we are in this together. That this minsitry is led by a group of people following Christ. I just happen to be the one that God has placed in the position of leadership over that group and as I do it more the more I enjoy spending time with the adult leaders. Building relationships with them and getting to know thier families, gifts, etc.

I'm the only paid youth staff member. I do have a paid intern which I am thankful for.
I'm SO thankful for the group of volunteer adult leaders that are a part of this ministry!
If you are reading this and you are one of them, I love you and enjoy being a part of your life and doing ministry with you!

No comments: